Thursday, November 1, 2012

DIY Crate Coffee Table


Materials Needed:
  • (4) Wooden Crates 12.5"W x 18"L x 9.5"H (I used crates from Michael's and used their 40% off coupon. Each crate came to a little over $7 each.)
  • (2) 2"x4"x8'
  • Stain of your color choice
Final Dimensions: 27"W x 27"D x 17"H

Our first step was to build the base of our coffee table with the 2"x4"x8's.  My husband put this together for me.  See picture below.  I'll have him explain this part....Figure out the outside dimentions by arranging the crates the way you want them.  I started with the outer square frame first, cutting the boards on a 45 degree angle.  Then I cut two pieces for cross supports.  I used 2 ratchet strapes to hold it together while I screwed the pieces to each other.
 
 
 
We then stained all of the crates, the base and the feet.  The feet were leftover triangle pieces from the frame.  My husband turned them point side down and attached to the bottom of the frame. Genius!
 
 
 
When you screw the crates into place, make sure the crate extends slightly past the edge of the frame. (We made our frame slitly smaller than what the crates measured.  We thought it would look better)
 
 
After everything is stained, the crates and feet are screwed into place, you will notice the gaping hole in the middle.  We took scrap wood and made a small shelf. 
 
 
You could put a plant or some nice stones in your shelf. We currently have a decorative plate with candles over ours.
 
 
 




3 comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs